The Irvine Unified School District (IUSD) has placed Measure E, a school facilities improvement measure, on the June 2016 ballot. IUSD serves more than 32,000 students and is one of the
highest performing districts in the nation. However, due to the state’s new funding formula, IUSD ranks at the bottom in per pupil funding in California. As a result, IUSD’s general fund cannot support the significant investments many of our aging facilities need without creating a significant impact on our instructional programs across the District.
If approved by 55 percent of registered voters, the measure will provide an investment of $319 million to address the serious school facility issues that have been identified by each school site within the Measure’s boundaries. The cost of the measure will be $29 per $100,000 of assessed value, (as opposed to market value, which is typically much higher) over a 30-year period. To provide some perspective, the estimated approximate cost to the average property owner will be about $10 per month.
Funds from this measure would be used to upgrade Irvine’s oldest schools by:
- Providing the facilities and equipment needed for career and technology classes so students are prepared for college and good paying jobs in fields like science, engineering, technology and skilled trades.
- Providing classrooms, science labs and school facilities that meet current academic, technology and safety standards.
- Ensuring that all schools have the classrooms and instructional spaces needed for Irvine’s world class art and music programs.
- Improving traffic and safety in and around schools.
- Updating instructional technology in the classroom for improved student learning in core subjects like reading and science, technology, engineering and math (STEM).
- Replacing aging roofs, plumbing, electrical systems, and heating and cooling systems.
- Ensuring classrooms, labs and other facilities are accessible for students with disabilities.
To view a list of priority facilities improvements by school, click on the school names below.
|Elementary/K-8 Schools||Middle Schools||High Schools|
|Brywood||Rancho San Joaquin||Irvine|
|Canyon View||Sierra Vista||Northwood|
|College Park||South Lake||University|
|Plaza Vista K-8|